Thursday 19 September 2013

Meet Some Good Peeps: Melanie Crocker

Did you see the Harvest Moon this morning?  Looks to be quite the day shaping up! Today we are talking to Melanie Crocker of MDC Boutique.  She makes cute bows, warm cozy caps and even wee purses for your wee one.  An elementary school physical education teacher and a busy mom of a toddler she loves Halloween and we love to see her at Some Good Market!

So Melanie...

Q: Where are you from?

A: I am from Green's Harbour, Trinity Bay, NL

Q: Why do you do what you do?

A: I believe that it's important for people to have a learned skill/craft.  For me crocheting is very therapeutic. 

Q: Who/what inspires you?  (In relation to your craft)

A: I love being crafty. As a little girl, my grandfather thought me how to knit. I loved to knit but never really became great at it.  When my little boy was born in 2012 I decided that I would teach myself how to make those really cute baby hats.  So through the help of my husband's grandmother and the Internet I set out on a mission to learn how to crochet.  So I guess that was my inspiration of where I am today.

Q: What is your favourite part of your craft/process?  What takes the longest?

A: My favourite part of my craft for the crochet and the hair accessories is seeing it all come together.  Especially if a hat is detailed and has a lot of parts, when you put that final stitch in and it's all seen together its a feeling of accomplishment.

Q: What do you think craft means to NL?

A: Through out history handmade objects always played an important role in society.  It's is important that we don't lose that.  Each piece of work tells a story about the person who made it and the society in which it was made in.  That is important to our culture and heritage. Newfoundland has always been rich with craftsman and it is important that we don't lose that part of our heritage and the skills are passed down from one generation to the next.

Q: Words to live by?

A: “Remember happiness doesn’t depend upon who you are or what you have; it depends solely on what you think.”

Q: Do you have any pets?

A: I have one pet, a Lhasa poo, named Suzie. 

Q: Youngsters?

A: I have one little boy, Carter.  He is 15 months old.

Q: What is your favourite food?

A: Pizza

You can find Melanie at Some Good Market occasionally and she is on Facebook as MDC Boutique.

No comments:

Post a Comment