Thursday 5 September 2013

Meet Some Good Peeps: Bobbi Pike

In this installment you'll meet Bobbi Pike,  a self taught artist. Her use of colour catches the eye and you'll always be looking for a hidden feature in each of her works.

Q: Where are you from?

A:  I am  the baby sister to two older (but not necessarily  wiser :) ) brothers.  I was born in Carbonear Hospital, and grew up in Spaniard's Bay.

Q: Why do you do what you do? 

A:  Even though I always felt there was something undiscovered inside me, I grew up my whole life feeling disappointed  that I was not artistic.  I claimed, rightfully so, to not be able to draw a proper stick man if my life depended on it.  I even joked cautiously that my heart was artistic, but my hands seemed to be more  of the autistic variety.
I literally stumbled unto painting by accident.  We had just finished decorating our new home, when I drew a line at our bedroom door... I was done spending $$. The new bedroom paint colour didn't match any of the old accessories, so I took matter into my own hands - old dried up craft paints, plus water and presto...brand new accents :)  Among the lot, were two old Walmart canvasses had been transformed and were now ready for the walls.  Fast forward to the next day...this normally happy go lucky lady was foul, crabby and overall not myself.  After much consideration, and self examination, I realized it was because I didn't have anything to paint...I missed the brush in my hand. A quick trip to stock up on real paints and some canvas to play with and an artist was born.  Who knew. Looking back now, if I had stumbled upon this much earlier in life, how different my life would be.

Q: Who/what inspires you (in relation to your craft)?

A: My inspiration comes from an intense love of Newfoundland and all her people.  I have had the advantage of touring over 90% of the Island.. I've had the pleasure of taking the road less traveled and have explored many a small cove, community and back road.  Our Province is bountiful with absolutely breathtaking scenery, every turn in the road reveals another geographical wonder.  At the end of those roads, you usually find an old fisherman, a war veteran, or a nanny with a story to tell.  I think I fell in love with each and every one of them.
To this day, if I accepted every offer to drop in for a quick cup of tea from all these wonderful people, it would truly take me weeks to travel from one end to another.

Q: What is your favourite part of your craft/process? 

A: My favorite part happens after the process has been completed.  It's in the reaction of the beholder.  Many people have told me my artwork is 'nice', 'vibrant' or 'beautiful'..but the part that truly speaks to me is when it helps people to feel something, or remember something from their past.  My most awesome moments are when people tell me "my grandfather was Captain of that ship, and I remember sitting in the wheelhouse with him on Saturday morning, while eating breakfast"  or " Thats my nan's house!! I remember when they towed that across the harbour!" It is truly a humbling experience when a complete stranger is so touched by something you've created, that their eyes tear up as they give you a parting hug. THAT'S what its all about for me.  That's what makes me feel special.

Q: What do you think craft means to NL? 

A: In a nutshell, its preserving tradition as well as building value in ourselves. More and more we're seeing modern glass buildings replacing grassy fields, or developers ripping every tree from a building lot, and even (STILL today!!?!) whole communities having to pull up roots and move lock, stock and barrel to a new place. Away from everything familiar, away from people they grew up next door to all their lives and away from their chosen life.  We need to preserve our culture, to bring/build value to our heritage, our outports and our craft.  We need to concentrate on tourism and bringing people and their dollars into our back yard. We need to stand tall as Newfoundlanders and show 'em what we're made of.

Q: Words to live by?

A: "It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child." - Pablo Picasso

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

"Don't worry, bout a t'ing..every little t'ing's, gonna be alright" - Bob Marley

Q:  What is unique about your work?

A: In all of my paintings, you will find 3 crows, most are easy to find, but others you'll have to search a little to find them. The reason? Nicknames were developed in outport Newfoundland, so families could be differentiated from others with the same last name. (Mercers- Foxes, Nishes, etc) For my Maiden name Seymour, the Nickname was Crow. Rumour has it the first Spaniard's Bay Constable was a Seymour. He was often spotted patrolling the lanes and drungs wearing a long black cape to protect him from the chilly nights. He became the first 'Crow', because of how he looked when out on patrol.
My three crows represent many things to me; myself and my two brothers growing up, they represent my inner core of three at home now. They are my comfort, my contentment and the real me.
Can you find all the crows?

Q: Do you own any pets?

A: Pets??  My house seriously feels like like a zoo sometimes. There are two shih-poos (Shihtzu X poodle) the oldest and the Diva of the bunch is Squiggles.  Squig is black and beautiful. Then is Chiquita, she's is the gobble guts of the family. Chiq constantly steals everybody else's food..and I mean everybody's!!  Chiqqi is blonde, or yellow, like a banana (Chiquita Banana) :) Next is Pixie, our grey tabby that was rescued from the Humane society. Pixie is still known years later at the shelter as 'the pretty one' She is a very pretty cat. Next is Shira and Kibo aka Robin and Hoodie, they were the famous little kittens that were almost crushed in a van at Robin Hood Bay dump when they were less than five weeks old. The black fuzzy kitties with big blue eyed, are maturing into gorgeous smoky grey terrible twins. They climb everything in sight, ransack the house every evening and then snuggle down in our queen size bed with the rest of us. Does anyone know where I can get a good deal on a King sized bed :)

Q: Youngsters?

A:  Alex Mackey is and always will be my pride and joy and my rock. Since he was in kindergarten, teachers have been telling me - I don't know what your child is going to do in life, but what ever he chooses, he's going to do well and he's going somewhere.  How cool is that. Alex and I spent a fair bit of his earlier years with just him and I, after the divorce from his dad...makes me wonder if we grew up together.  My s'daughter Samantha Pike came into my life later in life as an added value with my new Hubby Geoff. I can honestly say, if I were able to build a daughter from the ground up, not only would she be just like Sam....it WOULD be her. She is gorgeous and poised and full of life. Her only flaw, is like most ladies, she doesn't realize how wonderful she really is.

Q: What is your favourite food?

A: Seriously??  I think the majority of women have the same answer.  Chocolate. Although a good feed of CDG has been known to throw me right off a diet at any given time.

Bobbi can be reached a number of ways:

Bobbi Pike Art
(709)834-9187
(709)690-0260
www.bobbipikeart.com

https://www.facebook.com/BobbiPikeArt

Twitter  @BobbiPikeArt

Bobbi Pike Art
Where Canvas Meets Rock
And of course at Some Good Market (check events to see if she's there)

Some Good Market will be featuring our many vendors on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Hope you enjoy getting to know our #somegood peeps!

1 comment:

  1. Truly enjoyed reading your post, Bobbi. Your work is Wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete